Foolish Sensibility

Don't be afraid to invite people to laugh with you while you are laughing at yourself. You may be the fool, but you are the fool in charge!

Monday, December 08, 2008

Dreams and Reality

I had a dream, a long time ago, back in our younger days.
Life wasn't so complicated as it is now, things were simpler.
Even then I didn't quite understand you, but I tried.
I waited, watched, listened.
Some part of me was fascinated by you, drawn closer in search of comprehension.
By simply listening, my mind was opened and expanded by your ideas, your challenges of reality.
Frequently I disagreed, but I learned to defend my position with rational thought rather than stubbornness and irritation.
I was conflicted, between a desire to be your friend, and a desire to tell you where you could take all your liberal eloquence and what you could do with it.
I thought you arrogant, rebellious, chaotic, and often unnerving.
But I always felt that all was just a mask, that there was so much more under the surface that I had yet to be shown.
I wanted to understand the reason for your facade, I wanted to know what and why you were hiding.
I wanted to see deeper, to unravel the mystery of you.

Then I had the dream. (no joke, I really did dream this)

Years had passed, we had both seen more of life.
Walking down a street, I looked up and unexpectedly saw your face.
You were changed, no longer so defiant, you almost looked defeated.
Time and hardships had taken their toll on you.
We stopped and talked a while, I related how I was graduating with my degree, I was nearly engaged, and had a great job.
Your tale was somewhat different. You had lost your job, were divorced, and had no where else to go.
Your hollow eyes told me you had lost hope, and I pitied you.
I wanted to reach out and comfort you, remind you that there was always hope, but I hesitated.
I wasn't sure how I would be received, so I waited, watching again, searching for some indication of the man behind your mask.

I woke up.

Now I find that dream increasingly paralleling my reality.
I don't understand why I had that dream, but I feel the same way as I did then.
Hesitant, wishing so much to help and befriend you, wanting you to trust me with who you really are.
I want you to be happy, at peace.
I want you to be every bit the man I have glimpsed on occasion, hidden inside you.
I know your life has been hard, and I'll probably never really understand you, but I want to try.
And most of all, I want you to have Hope.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home