Art Major DOES NOT equal Artist.
I've decided that I'm not very smart. I signed up for 3 art classes this semester, 2 of which were design classes that are quite possibly going to kill me. The drawing class I can handle, drawing is my forte, I can sit and look at something and transfer the image to paper, no biggie. Coming up with new designs and creating a final product that actually looks good... ya, not my thing. That got me to thinking. Am I really an artist, or am I simply a really good mime? That thought kinda scares me, because I have always defined myself as an artist, but now I'm starting to wonder if I really fit into that description.
Brad Taggert teaches my 3D design class, and he told us that the difference between an art major and an artist is that an art major does what it takes to get the grade, and sometimes not even that much. An artist puts in the extra hours and works for themselves, for their own personal improvement, to push themselves to be better. I know that I can be better than I am, but taking such a load is quite possibly going to stretch me a lot farther than I can handle at this point. Honestly, we are 2 weeks into the semester, and I'm already running out of ideas and misunderstanding assignments. It's not good.
So am I an artist, or an art major? I am for the most part quite willing to put in the extra work, and I certainly want to improve myself, but I am so frustrated with my lack of creativity at the moment, I just feel stuck with no where to go. I suppose that I am questioning my identity, and it is rather confusing. Oh well, not much I can do about it, I got myself into this mess, hopefully I'll come out of it better than I went into it.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home